Gout, Purine In Diet & Uric Acid Level
High uric acid level can be attributable to high purine diet which in turn result in gout. What foods are high in purine?
To maintain normal uric acid level, it’s vital to have a healthy eating plan, and to check out the purine content of your foods and drinks. Purine content in your diet can be categorized into 3 levels, as follows:
- low purine (0 – 25mg / 100g)
- moderate purine (25 – 150mg / 100g)
- high purine (150 – 1000mg / 100g)
Eating in moderation or based on recommended guideline would be a good rule of thumb regardless of the nutritional value of a particular food.
When planning for your daily diet to take care of gout and/or high uric acid level, here're the suggestions:
1) Gout condition: Avoid high purine foods.
2) High uric acid but yet to develop gout condition: Reduce or avoid high purine foods.
Purine Content In Foods
List of foods categorized into low, moderate and high in purine for your reference.
All dairy products.
Meat & Eggs
Chicken & duck eggs.
- Chicken meat, heart
- Duck meat
- Pork, pig's stomach, heart, kidney, lung, skin
- Chicken's liver, kidney
- Duck's liver, century egg
- Goose meat
- Pig's liver, blood, brain, lung, kidney, spleen
- Ox's liver, heart, kidney, spleen
- Sheep's spleen
- Animal gut
- Sea cucumber
- Jelly fish
- Sailfish, carp, grass carp, pacific saury, fish balls
- Sardine, noodlefish, eel, capelin, catfish, bombay duck, loach, anchovy, dried fish, fish skin, fish egg, shark fin
- Octopus, squid
- Shrimp, dried shrimp
- Shellfish, scallop, oyster, mussel, clam
- Brown rice, white rice, rice flour, millet rice
- Wheat, oat, oatmeal, flour, macaroni, noodle
- Corn, corn starch; potato, sweet potato, sweet potato starch, taro, lotus root starch; mung bean flour
- Cereal or wheat germ
- Glutinous rice
Beans & Products
- Soy, germinating beans, beancurd, tofu, dried tofu, yuba, soy milk, miso
- Mung bean; red bean; pinto bean; black bean
- Chinese cabbage, cabbage, mustard, water spinach, celery, leek, kale, lettuce
- Bitter gourd, cucumber, melon, loofah, eggplant, green peppers, carrot, tomato
- Onion, green onion, garlic, ginger, chili
- Pickled vegetables
- String beans, pea, sugar pea
- Mushroom, black fungus, lilies, basil
- Seaweed, kelp
- Brussels sprout, bean sprouts
- Chinese mushroom, enoki
- Cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, asparagus
- Orange, lemon, apple, grape, pear, star fruit, mango, papaya, pineapple, loquat, peach, prune, watermelon, guava, banana, rock melon, jujube
- Dried grape, dried longan
- Vegetable oil
- Animal lipid
Oils from peanut, cashew, seed, other nuts.
Sauce, Legumes & Others
- Tomato sauce
- Soy sauce
- Chestnut, lotus seed, almond
- Gravy, beef sauce, oyster sauce
- Soup, concentrated broth, chicken essence
- Enzyme powder
- Alcohol, alcoholic drink
- Fermented bean curd